NEWS AND EVENTS
• REGISTER NOW! Teachers Development Group's 2016 Leadership Seminar on Mathematics Professional Development will take place March 16-19, 2016, at the Portland Sheraton Airport Hotel, in Portland, Oregon. The opening keynote will happen on Wednesday, March 16, at 6:30 pm, and the closing session will end by 1:30 pm on Saturday, March 19. Increase impact — attend as a team (e.g., administrators, math coaches, teacher leaders, university partners) from your district, region, school, and/or university! Download a flier and/or register.
A hallmark of this annual event is an amazing group of nationally-recognized speakers whose carefully-prepared and well-connected presentations about their latest work inspire participants to think deeply about mathematics professional development in their workplaces. A special thank you to this year’s speakers (watch for additions):
- WENDY AARON Oregon State University, Corvallis OR
- VIRGINIA BASTABLE Mt. Holyoke College, Holyoke MA
- HILDA BORKO Stanford University, Stanford, CA
- MARY BEISIEGEL Oregon State University, Corvallis OR
- LINDA RUIZ DAVENPORT Boston Public Schools, Boston MA
- REBEKAH ELLIOTT Oregon State University, Corvallis OR
- SUSAN EMPSON University of Texas, Austin TX
- MIKE FLYNN Mt. Holyoke College, Holyoke MA
- LINDA COOPER FOREMAN Teachers Development Group, West Linn OR
- JULIE FREDERICKS Teachers Development Group, West Linn OR
- ANARUPA GANULY Boston Public Schools, Boston MA
- BETH HERBEL-EISENMANN Michigan State University, East Lansing MI
- VICKI JACOBS University of North Carolina, Greensboro NC
- AMANDA JANSEN University of Delaware, Newark DE
- GRACE KELEMANIK Boston Teacher Residency Program, Boston MA
- LISA LAMB San Diego State University, San Diego CA
- AMY LUCENTA Boston Teacher Residency Program, Boston MA
- KATE MELHUISH Teachers Development Group, West Linn OR
- CATHY MARTIN Denver Public Schools, Denver CO
- JOHANNAH NIKULA Education Development Center Boston MA
- DEBORAH SCHIFTER Education Development Center, Boston MA
- MIKE SHAUGHNESSY Teachers Development Group, West Linn OR
- PEG SMITH University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh PA
- GINI STIMPSON Teachers Development Group, Seattle WA
- Watch for additions to the speaker list!
Attend as an individual or a team. Register now while space is available. This event fills quickly!
Questions? E-mail email@example.com
• Cognitively Guided Instruction (CGI) and Extending Children's Mathematics (ECM)
Teachers Development Group is a national center for the development and implementation of CGI and ECM professional development, which are designed to enhance teachers’ ability to teach math for understanding by increasing teachers’ understanding of children’s mathematical thinking. Linda Levi, co-author of the CGI books for teachers and member of the CGI research and development team, directs this work. CGI's content focus is Operations & Algebraic Thinking and Number & Operations in Base Ten as described in the K-3 Common Core State Standards for Mathematics (CCSSM). ECM's content focus is Operations & Algebraic Thinking, Number & Operations in Base Ten, Number & Operations – Fractions, the Number System, and Expressions and Equations as described in the grades 3-6 CCSSM. Through a focus on children’s thinking, teachers in CGI and ECM professional development improve their ability to engage students in the Standards for Mathematical Practice described in CCSSM. Both CGI and ECM develop teachers’ ability to use any curriculum to teach math for understanding. For more information about CGI or ECM professional development, please email Linda Levi, firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Mathematics Studio – Sustainable School-Based Professional Learning
Download our brochure, About the Mathematics Studio. Contact Linda Foreman, via e-mail or by phone, 503-650-1914, to learn more about the studio model and/or to explore possibilities for using a mathematics studio as context for transforming the culture of mathematics professional learning in your school/district.
• Other Open Enrollment Professional Development Opportunities
Check the Events page to learn about other mathematics professional learning special events open to the public. New events are posted regularly. Please call our office if you are looking for a specific topic that is not listed – often we can arrange for individuals to purchase a “seat” in a contracted course that is not listed on our Events page, or it may be possible to bring an open enrollment event to your locale.