NEWS AND EVENTS
• 2014 LEADERSHIP SEMINAR on MATHEMATICS PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
FEBRUARY 12-15, 2014
Thank you for another remarkable year! 2014 speaker handouts are available. Be sure to watch for 2015 seminar announcements.
Special thanks to the exemplary math educators and researchers who will shared their latest work.
- VIRGINIA BASTABLE Mt. Holyoke College, Holyoke, MA
- MARY BEISIEGEL Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR
- JESSICA PIERSON BISHOP University of Georgia, Athens, GA
- HILDA BORKO Stanford University, Stanford, CA
- CATHY CARROLL WestEd, San Francisco, CA
- DAN CHAZAN University of Maryland, College Park, MD
- MARK DRISCOLL Education Development Center, Boston, MA
- REBEKAH ELLIOTT Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR
- MIKE FLYNN Mt. Holyoke College, Holyoke, MA
- LINDA FOREMAN Teachers Development Group, West Linn, OR
- JULIE FREDERICKS Teachers Development Group, West Linn, OR
- ROSANNE FULTON Denver, CO
- BARBARA GILBERT Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
- RUTH HEATON University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE
- ALLISON HINTZ University of Washington, Seattle, WA
- ELHAM KAZEMI University of Washington, Seattle, WA
- GRACE KELEMANIK Boston Teacher Residency Program, MA
- ERIC KNUTH University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI
- LINDA LEVI Teachers Development Group, Madison, WI
- AMY LUCENTA Boston Teacher Residency Program, MA
- LORRAINE MALES University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE
- KRISTEN MALZAHN Horizon Research, Chapel Hill, NC
- JOHANNAH NIKULA Education Development Center, Boston, MA
- RANDOLPH PHILIPP San Diego State University, CA
- ELIZABETH PHILLIPS Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI
- DEBORAH SCHIFTER Education Development Center, Boston, MA
- NANETTE SEAGO WestEd, Riverside, CA
- MIKE SHAUGHNESSY NCTM/Portland State University, OR
- PEG SMITH University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
- GINI STIMPSON Teachers Development Group, Seattle, WA
- LAURA VAN ZOEST Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, MI
Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis. To assure a spot, register now, even if your PO# is still pending!
Questions? Email email@example.com
• Cognitively Guided Instruction (CGI) and Extending Children's Mathematics (ECM)
Teachers Development Group is a national center for the development and implementation of CGI and ECM professional development, which are designed to enhance teachers’ ability to teach math for understanding by increasing teachers’ understanding of children’s mathematical thinking. Linda Levi, co-author of the CGI books for teachers and member of the CGI research and development team, directs this work. CGI's content focus is Operations & Algebraic Thinking and Number & Operations in Base Ten as described in the K-3 Common Core State Standards for Mathematics (CCSSM). ECM's content focus is Operations & Algebraic Thinking, Number & Operations in Base Ten, Number & Operations – Fractions, the Number System, and Expressions and Equations as described in the grades 3-6 CCSSM. Through a focus on children’s thinking, teachers in CGI and ECM professional development improve their ability to engage students in the Standards for Mathematical Practice described in CCSSM. Both CGI and ECM develop teachers’ ability to use any curriculum to teach math for understanding. For more information about CGI or ECM professional development, please email Linda Levi, firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Mathematics Studio – Sustainable School-Based Professional Learning
Download our brochure, About the Mathematics Studio. Contact Linda Foreman, via e-mail or by phone, 503-650-1914, to learn more about the studio model and/or to explore possibilities for using a mathematics studio as context for transforming the culture of mathematics professional learning in your school/district.
• Other Open Enrollment Professional Development Opportunities
Check the Events page to learn about other mathematics professional learning special events open to the public. New events are posted regularly. Please call our office if you are looking for a specific topic that is not listed – often we can arrange for individuals to purchase a “seat” in a contracted course that is not listed on our Events page, or it may be possible to bring an open enrollment event to your locale.