NEWS AND EVENTS
• SAVE THE DATE: 2016 Leadership Seminar on Mathematics Professional Development, March 16-19, 2016. Watch this site for registration and program information to be posted in the Fall.
• Thank you to all of the speakers and participants who made the 2015 Leadership Seminar on Mathematics Professional Development a success.
The 2015 agenda and speaker documents are available.
A hallmark of this annual event is an amazing group of nationally-recognized speakers whose carefully-prepared and well-connected presentations about their latest work inspire participants to think deeply about mathematics professional development in their workplaces. A special thank you to this year’s speakers:
- WENDY AARON Oregon State University, Corvallis OR
- HAROLD ASTURIAS Lawrence Hall of Science, UC Berkeley CA
- VIRGINIA BASTABLE Mt. Holyoke College, Holyoke MA
- DIANE BRIARS NCTM, Reston VA
- MARY ALICE CARLSON Montana State University, Bozeman MT
- LINDA DAVENPORT Boston Public Schools, Boston MA
- MARK DRISCOLL Education Development Center, Boston MA
- REBEKAH ELLIOTT Oregon State University, Corvallis OR
- MIKE FLYNN Mt. Holyoke College, Holyoke MA
- LINDA FOREMAN Teachers Development Group, West Linn OR
- JULIE FREDERICKS Teachers Development Group, West Linn OR
- ANARUPA GANULY Boston Public Schools, Boston MA
- YVONNE GRANT Michigan State University, East Lansing MI
- VICTORIA HAND University of Colorado, Boulder CO
- RUTH HEATON University of Nebraska, Lincoln NE
- AMANDA JANSEN University of Delaware, Newark DE
- REVA KASMAN Salem State University, Salem MA
- GRACE KELEMANIK Boston Teacher Residency Program MA
- AMY LUCENTA Boston Teacher Residency Program MA
- CATHY MARTIN Denver Public Schools, Denver CO
- JOHANNAH NIKULA Education Development Center Boston MA
- JEN NOLL Portland State University, Portland OR
- ELIZABETH PHILLIPS Michigan State University, East Lansing MI
- SUSAN JO RUSSELL TERC, Cambridge MA
- DEBORAH SCHIFTER Education Development Center, Boston MA
- MIRIAM SHERIN Northwestern University, Evanston IL
- MIKE SHAUGHNESSY Teachers Development Group, West Linn OR
- ED SILVER University of Michigan, Ann Arbor MI
- PEG SMITH University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh PA
- GINI STIMPSON Teachers Development Group, Seattle WA
- EVA THANHEISER Portland State University, Portland OR
- LAURA VAN ZOEST Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo MI
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Cognitively Guided Instruction (CGI) and Extending Children's Mathematics (ECM)
Teachers Development Group is a national center for the development and implementation of CGI and ECM professional development, which are designed to enhance teachers’ ability to teach math for understanding by increasing teachers’ understanding of children’s mathematical thinking. Linda Levi, co-author of the CGI books for teachers and member of the CGI research and development team, directs this work. CGI's content focus is Operations & Algebraic Thinking and Number & Operations in Base Ten as described in the K-3 Common Core State Standards for Mathematics (CCSSM). ECM's content focus is Operations & Algebraic Thinking, Number & Operations in Base Ten, Number & Operations – Fractions, the Number System, and Expressions and Equations as described in the grades 3-6 CCSSM. Through a focus on children’s thinking, teachers in CGI and ECM professional development improve their ability to engage students in the Standards for Mathematical Practice described in CCSSM. Both CGI and ECM develop teachers’ ability to use any curriculum to teach math for understanding. For more information about CGI or ECM professional development, please email Linda Levi, email@example.com.
• The Mathematics Studio – Sustainable School-Based Professional Learning
Download our brochure, About the Mathematics Studio. Contact Linda Foreman, via e-mail or by phone, 503-650-1914, to learn more about the studio model and/or to explore possibilities for using a mathematics studio as context for transforming the culture of mathematics professional learning in your school/district.
• Other Open Enrollment Professional Development Opportunities
Check the Events page to learn about other mathematics professional learning special events open to the public. New events are posted regularly. Please call our office if you are looking for a specific topic that is not listed – often we can arrange for individuals to purchase a “seat” in a contracted course that is not listed on our Events page, or it may be possible to bring an open enrollment event to your locale.